Choosing a therapeutic provider to support your BFRB journey is critically important. Finding the right fit may take time, so knowing what you want to achieve from therapy is a good first start.
Before you begin the search for therapeutic support, here are some questions to ask yourself:
- What do I want to achieve from therapy to support my BFRBs?
- Am I open to receive input and suggestions about my BFRBs?
- Am I committed to doing the work to help me improve my behaviors?
- I recognize that I may have setbacks in my road to recovery, how will I address them with my therapeutic provider?
- How do I need my therapeutic provider to “show up” for me?
- What type of experience in treating BFRBs do I want my therapeutic provider to have?
Remember, therapeutic treatment is an individualized process. What might work for one person, may not work for most or all people. Patience and persistence are key to finding your own level of success.