How It Works
- You transfer appreciated stocks, bonds, or mutual fund shares you have owned for more than one year to The TLC Foundation.
- TLC, in turn, sells your securities and uses the proceeds to support operations, programs, research and training.
What Are the Benefits
- You receive an immediate income tax deduction for the fair market value of the securities on the date of transfer (even if you originally paid much less for them).
- You pay no capital gains tax on the transfer when the stock is sold.
- Giving appreciated stock can be more beneficial than giving cash. The "cost" of your gift is often less than the deduction you gain by making it.
Please follow the steps outlined below to make your gift of stock, bonds or mutual funds.
Stock Held Electronically
If your securities are held electronically ("in street name") with your broker, you will need to send your broker a letter of authorization to transfer (not sell) shares of specific stock(s) from your account directly into The TLC Foundation for Body-Focused Repetitive Behaviors account.
You will need to include the following information:
- Your account number and signature(s) (both owners of a joint account must sign)
- The date by which you wish to complete the charitable gift
- The name and number of shares you would like to donate
- Fund designation for the gift (General Operating Fund, Health Education and Community, Research or the Shanthi Memorial Fund).
You will also need to provide the following transfer information:
Account Name: The TLC Foundation for Body-Focused Repetitive Behaviors
Financial Institution: Morgan Stanley
DTC Number: 0015
Account Number: 136-026795-104
Contact: Tristan Kass (831) 440-5233
Please send a copy of this letter to: The TLC Foundation, 716 Soquel Ave. Ste. A, Santa Cruz, CA 95062. Stock gifts are valued at the mean between the high and low value of the stock on the date of the transfer.
Stock in Certificate Form
If you have stock or bond certificates, please contact The TLC Foundation to arrange for delivery: firstname.lastname@example.org, (831) 457-1004.